3 November 2011

My book of the moment, "To Kill a Mockingbird"

I've just finished reading Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird". The story is narrated by a girl called Scout Finch whose father, Atticus, is a lawyer who defends a Negro accused of rape. It is set in the 1930's, in the deep south of America, when black people were still segregated. The novel is located in 'a tired old town', Maycomb in Alabama, and is loosely based on Lee's own childhood experience.


Harper Lee was a close friend of Truman Capote, and she accompanied him during the time he was working on the book, "In Cold Blood". I am a big fan of Capote and this was the first time I heard of Harper Lee, and her Pulitzer Prize winning novel. But her book didn't appeal to me at the time and after a long time, out of the blue, I started to read her novel. It was beyond my expectations, I really liked it! So I strongly recommend it.


The book was turned into a film in 1962, staring Gregory Peck and won several prestigious film awards including several Oscars. 


1 comment:

  1. To Kill A Mockingbird is a heartwarming book. It teaches you about many things such as racism, ignorance and growing up in the south. As a reader you will experience different emotions and many ups and downs. In this book you will read about the different experiences the main characters had to go through. After reading this book you will understand why this book is a classic. I highly recommend this book to a friend because you can learn alot from it. What I like about this book is that it is interesting in many different ways and teaches you about human nature and overcoming stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete